Orthodox icon | Mother of God of Vladimir | Silver oklad | Kiot | 24692.
The icon portrays the Mother of God holding the child in her right arm. It belongs to the Umilenie type, which originated in Byzantium during the 11th century. The Mother of God affectionately gazes at the child, revealing their intimate bond. Her sorrowful expression signifies her awareness of the forthcoming Passion.
The icon features a silver gilt frame with intricate chiseling, bearing the hallmark of Moscow in 1862. The inspection was conducted by A. Swetschin. It is enclosed within a kiot that has a gilded interior frame.
This icon has been meticulously painted, showcasing remarkable artistry and devotion.
The Mother of God of Vladimir:
The Russian Orthodox Church celebrates the Mother of God of Vladimir on three different feast days: May 21, June 23, and August 26. This miraculous icon holds immense significance and is renowned throughout Russia.
Each feast day is associated with a remarkable miracle attributed to the icon, one of the three portraits of the Mother of God with the child painted by the apostle Luke. Mary herself declared upon seeing these three images, “The blessed goodness born of me will be with the holy icons.”
The icon, later known as Vladimirskaya, was brought from Jerusalem to Constantinople in the mid-5th century. According to tradition, it was then sent to Kiev in the 12th century by the Patriarch of Constantinople, Grand Duke Yuri Dolgoruki. The icon found its place in the Devičij Virgin Monastery in Vyshhorod near Kiev.
In 1155, the Prince of Vyshhorod carried the icon during a campaign to the north and witnessed miraculous events along the way. When they reached the Klyazma River, the horses carrying the icon could not move forward.
The prince gave the place the name “Bogolyubovo,” meaning “loved by God,” and constructed two churches there. One of these churches became the permanent residence for the icon. Subsequently, a women’s monastery and the city of Bogolyubov were founded.
On September 21, 1160, the icon was transferred to the city of Vladimir and placed in the newly built grand cathedral. Since then, it has been known as “Vladimirskaya.” From 1395 onward, the icon has been housed in Moscow’s Dormition Cathedral.